Green Lane, Eltham | 19 April 2012

A carer rescued an elderly lady yesterday when a fire broke out in her home on Green Lane in Eltham in south east London.

It is thought the elderly lady, who is in her late eighties and is wheelchair bound, was cooking toast in her living room when the toaster fell over and set fire to nearby objects. There was a smoke alarm in the house which went off and alerted the carer, who was in another room, to the fire.

Crew Manager Nathan Hobson who attended the fire said: “The carer heard the smoke alarm going off, quickly rushed into the lounge, rescued the lady and called 999. Both of them were outside the house when we arrived. There could have been a tragic ending to this story had it not been for the smoke alarm and the quick-thinking actions of the carer who saved this lady’s life. I hope this will serve as a reminder to local people that smoke alarms save lives.”

Firefighters were so impressed by the carer’s actions that they have recommended her for a bravery award from Brigade’s Borough Commander Andy Rickard.

The ground floor of the semi-detached house was badly damaged by fire and the rest of the house was damaged by smoke. The London Ambulance Service was called to check both of the women over but it’s not thought that either of them were injured. The London Fire Brigade was called at 1026 on Wednesday 19 April and the fire was under control by 1104.

Three fire engines and around 15 firefighters from Sidcup and Eltham fire stations attended the incident.

Leave a Reply

Set your Twitter account name in your settings to use the TwitterBar Section.