Tag Archives: Hanley

Staffordshire | Hanley house fire caused by halogen heater

Baskerville Road, Hanley | 6 March 2012

A fire which hospitalised two children and their mother started after a combustible item was left too close to a halogen heater.

Firefighters from Hanley, Newcastle and Burslem were called to the fire, on Baskerville Road, Hanley, by the mother of the children at 1.46am this morning.

On arrival, firefighters entered the property and rescued two unconscious children from the ground floor and led the woman to safety.

Fire Investigation Officer, Al Bateman said: “Following a fire investigation we have established that the fire started accidentally. It would appear that a combustible item was in close proximity to a halogen heater which had been turned on in the bedroom and left on whilst the children slept.

“This incident highlights the dangers that heating appliances can pose and the area surrounding such appliances needs to be kept clear from combustible materials at all times.

“The property had no smoke alarms fitted so it is incredibly lucky that the woman realised there was a fire and was able to get the children out of the bedroom and bring them downstairs.

“She did however then put the fire out herself which we advise against doing. In the event of a fire we urge people to get out, stay out and call 999.”

Hanley firefighters have returned to Baskerville Road this afternoon to carry out free Home Fire Risk Checks to surrounding properties.

West Midlands | Mother and two children injured in house fire in Hanley

Baskerville Road | 6 March 2012

A mother and two children have been taken to hospital after a fire at a house in Hanley this morning.  

West Midlands Ambulance Service was called to Baskerville Road, Hanley at just before 2am.

Two ambulances and a paramedic in a rapid response vehicle attended the scene.

A West Midlands Ambulance Service spokesman said: “Ambulance crews treated a mother and two children, aged three and six years, for smoke inhalation.

“All three patients were taken to University Hospital North Staffordshire. The three year old child is thought to be in a very serious condition.

The hospital was alerted to the incident.